Rules Governing SCIA Meetings
EFFECTIVE AS OF FEBRUARY 2017 ♦ Download the Rules as a PDF
SECTION 1. REGULAR MEETINGS
1:1-1 Time and place
The regular meetings of the Salem County Improvement Authority shall be held in the Conference Room located in the office of the Salem County Improvement Authority, Solid Waste Division, 52 McKillip Road, Alloway, New Jersey 08001, on the second Thursday of the month beginning at 4:30 p.m., prevailing time, unless the time and place of such meetings are otherwise provided for by the Board.
The Salem County Improvement Authority may, by resolution, and in accordance with the statutes, provide that the regular meetings be held at such other times and at such other places as it deems desirable.
1:1-2 Presiding Officer
The presiding officer at regular meetings shall be the Chairman, or in his/her stead, the Vice Chairman.
A majority of the members of the Salem County Improvement Authority shall constitute a quorum for the transaction of business. Public notice shall be filed in accordance with Open Public Meetings Act. If a quorum is not present at least 10 minutes after the appointed meeting time, the person presiding may declare the meeting adjourned. Members may participate in meetings via conference call only if they are unable to appear in person.
- Any motion presented to the Salem County Improvement Authority shall be reduced to writing upon the request of any member.
- Any member of the Salem County Improvement Authority, including the Chairman may make a motion
- All resolutions, reports and motions must be seconded by a member other than the member proposing the motion to be presented to the Chairman for consideration by the Salem County Improvement Authority.
- If any resolution or motion shall contain several distinct propositions, or if the content of any motion is readily subject to division for purposes of separate consideration, a division shall be made by the Chairman at the request of any member; provided, however, that if the proponent of the motion contends that division will detract from the effective consideration of the motion, then division shall not be made except upon a majority vote of the Salem County Improvement Authority in favor of division.
- When a resolution or motion has been presented to the Salem County Improvement Authority and seconded, the floor shall be open for discussion and debate on the motion.
- When a motion is under discussion or debate, no other motion shall be entertained by the Chairman except the following, which shall have precedence in the following order:
- to adjourn (a motion to adjourn shall always be in order);
- to lay on the table (decide with or without debate);
- for the previous question (decide with or without debate);
- to postpone indefinitely;
- to postpone to a certain date;
- to postpone to the next regular meeting;
- to postpone for the present;
- to commit or amend.
1:1-5 Parliamentary Questions
The Chairman, in accordance with “Roberts Rules of Order, Revised,” shall decide all other questions relating to order or procedure not set forth in these rules.
- Any member desiring to speak, participate in discussion or debate or present any motion or resolution shall raise theirhand and address the Chairman for attention.
- If two or more members shall seek recognition at the same time, the Chairman shall decide which one shall be recognized for purposes of addressing the Salem County Improvement Authority.
- A point of order may be raised by any member in attendance at the meeting at any time. The Chairman shall decide such point of order.
- Any member shall have the right to appeal to the Salem County Improvement Authority Membersfrom the decision of the Chairman on the point of order. A voting majority will be required to overrule the decision.
- The Chairman or other member acting as presiding officer shall be permitted to engage in discussion or debate on questions or motions before the Salem County Improvement Authority.
- Resolutions, citations and proclamations to be presented to the Salem County Improvement Authority for consideration at their regular meeting, shall be presented in writing.
- Copies of the tentative agenda and resolutions for consideration at the Regular Meeting will be distributed, via email, to each Member by the Executive Director, or his designee, by 9:00 am the Tuesday before each Regular Meeting.
- All resolutions adopted by the Salem County Improvement Authority shall be serially numbered and shall be dated as of the date of their final adoption. The numbering shall contain the four digits of the year in which the resolution passed, and shall thereafter be serially numbered, e.g.: “2017-01”, etc.
- A book containing the adopted resolutions in numerical order shall be maintained for the Salem County Improvement Authority members use and shall be always be available in the Executive Director’s Office.
- At the request of any member, the Chairman shall require a roll call vote. For a roll-call vote, the Recording Secretary shall read the name of each Member, who shall then indicate their voicevote on the motion by stating “for,” “against,” or “abstain.”
- Except as otherwise provided in these rules or by law, a resolution or motion shall not be deemed to have been adopted unless it has received affirmative votes from a majority of members present at said Meeting.
- No member shall speak to another member or to an officer of the Board or any other person or leave theirseat while the minutes, reports, or other matters are being read or any motion is being presented or any motion is discussed or debated, or an officer, member or citizen is addressing the Board.
- The members of the Salem County Improvement Authority shall preserve order and decorum, and a member shall not by conversation or other means delay or interrupt the proceedings or disturb any other member while speaking.
- Employees of the Salem County Improvement Authority shall observe the same rules of order and decorum as those which apply to the members of Salem County Improvement Authority.
1:1-8 Waiver, Suspension and Amendments to Rules of the Board
- These rules and any order of the Salem County Improvement Authority may be suspended upon the affirmative vote of at least three members of the Salem County Improvement Authority. These rules may be amended by submitting the proposed amendments in writing to the Salem County Improvement Authority at a meeting duly called in accordance with these rules, read aloud by the Chairman and laid over for a vote at the next Regular Meeting of the Board or at a special meeting duly called for the purpose, at which time a majority vote of the entire membership shall be required for the adoption of the amendment provided, however, any rule may be temporarily altered, amended or waived at any meeting by a motion of the simple majority of all members of the Salem County Improvement Authority present at said meeting.
SECTION 2. SPECIAL MEETINGS
2:1-1 Time and Place
Special meetings shall be held on the written or printed order of the Chairman, or of any two members of the Salem County Improvement Authority, specifying the time, date, location, business and object thereof. No other business other than that specified in the notice shall be considered at a Special Meeting. The Executive Director shall call any such Special Meeting upon email notification. The notices shall state the business and object of the meeting and the time and place where the meeting is to be held. The agenda and any resolutions for consideration at the special meeting will be provided by email to SCIA Board members with as much advance notice as possible, preferably 48 hours in advance of the meeting.
SECTION 3. BUDGET
3:1-1 The annual budget for the Salem County Improvement Authority shall be prepared by all members of the Salem County Improvement Authority as a committee-of-the-whole.
3:1-2 The members of the Salem County Improvement Authority may hold, at such dates, times and location as they deem advisable, meetings for the preparation of the said budget, and they may compel in attendance at such meetings such officers, officials, and employees of the Salem County Improvement Authority as they deem advisable for purposes of consultation, examination and advice. These meetings shall be treated as special meetings.
SECTION 4. COMMITTEES
4:1-1 All Members shall serve as members of a standing committee. At each reorganization meeting, the Chairman shall name those members of each committee. The role of each committee shall be to provide a forum for in-depth review and analysis of certain matters which are the subject of that specific committee. The Chairman shall be an ex-officio member of all committees.
There shall be the following committees:
- Solid Waste
- Ad Hoc