Under the direction of the Landfill Manager, the Seasonal Laborer is to work an annual average of up to forty (40) hours per week and is responsible to perform duties related to laborer well established procedures and other duties as assigned. The Seasonal Laborer will be an individual who possesses a background and knowledge in the areas of janitorial and general ground maintenance. The Seasonal Laborer will be required to perform manual and physical labor, in relation to semi-skilled labor, (such as the operation of grass cutting equipment, maintenance and cleaning equipment, use of simple hand tools, litter pick-up and driving a pick-up truck). The Seasonal Laborer will be responsible for reporting directly to the Landfill Manager and will work independently and/or in conjunction with other employees of the Salem County Improvement Authority.
- Perform duties as assigned by the Landfill Manager, however any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor so the examples cover all the duties which may be performed including but not limited to:
- Report to the Landfill Manager.
- Monitor convenience center customers, informs supervisor or other appropriate staff of any suspicious waste hauling activity.
- Receive all visitors to the facility and direct them accordingly, notifying the Landfill Site Manager as required.
- Maintain cleanliness of scale house, scalemaster work area and equipment to provide a healthy and safe work environment.
- Clean scalehouse, maintenance and office buildings.
- Able to perform general clean up tasks around facility and buildings. (Administration office, lunchroom, maintenance garage, pole barns, storage shed, etc.)
- Run various pieces of light duty motorized equipment required to complete assigned tasks, (i.e., pickup truck, water truck, lawn mower, leaf blower, weedwhacker and simple hand tools.)
- Mow common and public areas (not landfill) of Authority properties and landscapes facility as needed- mulch, trim, weeds, etc.
- Clean all parking lots and roll-off containers, as necessary.
- Perform routine maintenance on Authority offices and buildings as required.
- Pick up litter.
- Follow all safety rules and regulations at all times.
- Other related duties as assigned by the Landfill Manager, as required.
- High school graduate or equivalent. Ability to proof-read. High school level knowledge of spelling and arithmetic.
- Have the ability to read, write, speak, understand or communicate in the English language sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- Able to work in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Able to follow oral and written instructions.
- A minimum knowledge of the manual and physical functions related to position and the ability to perform these functions.
- Possess current, valid NJ Driver’s License, may be required to travel to other divisions.
- Most obtain Safety training.
- Physical demands require some physical exertion; work may require lifting of heavy objects of up to 50 pounds, recurring bending, standing, walking or similar activity.
- Able to walk 100 yards at a time.
- Work environment may require exposure to various climate conditions and require special safety precautions.
- Ability to use desktop computer for safety training.
CORE HOURS OF SOLID WASTE DIVISION
- Monday- Friday: 7:30 am – 4:00 pm
- Saturday: 7:30 am- 3:00 pm