Salem County Improvement Authority-Solid Waste Division is seeking to hire a part-time Scalemaster. The successful applicant will be responsible for processing all incoming and outbound vehicles that are disposing of solid waste material. Ability to use a computer and proficiency in handling money is required. Must work on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Qualifications: High School Diploma, Possession of a New Jersey Weighmaster Certificate is preferred; if not, a New Jersey Weighmaster Certificate must be obtained within 90 days of employment. No health, dental or prescription benefits are available. The Salem County Improvement Authority offers paid holiday, vacation, and sick days. Please visit www.scianj.com for application. Mail application and resume no later than May 16, 2018 to Attention: Casie Garton, Salem County Improvement Authority, Human Resources, PO Box 890, Alloway, NJ 08001. Salem County Improvement Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Under the direction of the Office Manager, the Scalemaster is to work no more than 32 hours weekly. Must work on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. The Scalemaster is responsible for processing all incoming and outbound vehicles that are disposing of solid waste material. The Scalemaster person will be responsible for reporting directly to the Office Manager and will work independently and/or in conjunction with other employees of the Salem County Improvement Authority.
- (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the examples cover all the duties which may be performed.)
- Report to the Office Manager.
- Accept and review all waste origin forms to determine accuracy and completeness of all information provided.
- Weigh all waste vehicles to determine weight of material delivered.
- Verify all materials that are pre-approved for alternate beneficial use or other “special” waste materials, i.e., asbestos, dry industrial waste or processed waste materials, upon delivery before acceptance.
- Operate scalehouse computer (input hauler and vehicle information as vehicles enter the facility) insure correct information with proper identification and account number assigned to customers and identify correct waste type charged.
- Reconcile cash box as necessary and forward cash and checks to Administrative office for daily deposit.
- Keeps accurate records of all leachate (gallon per load) transported out of the facility.
- Monitors convenience center customers, informs supervisor or other appropriate staff of any suspicious waste hauling activity.
- Receive and sign in all visitors to the facility and direct them accordingly, notifying the Office Manager as required.
- Assures operation of traffic lights at scalehouse
- Maintains cleanliness of scalemaster work area and equipment to provide a healthy and safe work environment.
- Picks up litter around Scalehouse as needed.
- As a backup to office staff, answers the telephone, takes appropriate messages, forwards appropriate calls, answer questions and provides information regarding the scalehouse operation or convenience center, as necessary.
- Follows all safety rules and regulations at all times.
- High school graduate or equivalent. Ability to proof-read. High school level knowledge of spelling and arithmetic.
- A minimum of 1 year experience in computers or computer related experience.
- Ability to use computer for word processing, e-mail, etc.
- A minimum of 2 years work experience in the manual and physical functions related to position is preferred.
- A minimum knowledge of the manual and physical functions related to position and the ability to perform these functions
- Ability to use desktop and cell phone for calls and messages.
- Ability to make photo copies, send faxes, apply postage and scan documents.
- Have the ability to read, write, speak, understand or communicate in the English language sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- Ability to work in an efficient and courteous manner.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Possess current NJ Drivers License, may be required to travel to other divisions.
- Possession of a New Jersey Weighmaster Certificate is preferred; if not, a New Jersey Weighmaster Certificate must be obtained within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain Safety training.
- Physical demands require some physical exertion; work may require lifting of heavy objects of up to 50 pounds, recurring bending, standing, walking or similar activity.
- Work environment may require exposure to various climate conditions and require special safety precautions.
- Ability to drive personal or SCIA vehicle to as required and/or attend job related education and training course, seminars and conferences in accordance with SCIA policies.
Core Hours of Solid Waste Division are:
- Monday-Friday: 7:30 am — 4:00 pm
- Saturday: 7:30 am – 3:00 pm
- Actual hours for this position will vary depending on operation needs.